Australian Skilled Visa: Skilled – Independent Visa (subclass 189)
Imperial Visas is not affiliated with the Australian Government but is an independent UK immigration company authorised to advise on migration matters. If we take up your case you’ll benefit from 100% success rate, document checking and expedited visa processing.
The Australian Skilled – Independent Visa (subclass 189) is an Australian skilled visa for skilled workers whom are not sponsored by any employer, a state or territory, or a family member. Once this visa is issued you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia. Dependent family members can be included in the application.
You must score a minimum of 60 points (the pass mark) on the Points Test to be eligible for this visa.
Applying for the Skilled – Independent Visa (subclass 189)
To lodge a valid application for the skilled independent visa (subclass 189) you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect.
To apply for this visa you must:
- be invited to apply;
- be younger than 50 years of age when you are invited to apply;
- nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant Skilled Occupation List (SOL);
- have your skills assessed by the relevant body for your nominated occupation;
- have competent English;
- score at least 60 on the Points Test;
- meet the health and character requirements.
Australian Skilled Visa Process
The Skilled – Independent Visa (subclass 189) is based on a 3 stage application process.
- The first stage of the application process involves completing a skills assessment with the relevant government body. Your skills assessment enables the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to judge if you have the required level of skill in your chosen occupation to practice in Australia.
- Once you have received a positive skills assessment, you will need to submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia.
- Once you have been issued an Invitation To Apply (ITA), you can continue to the DIBP stage of the application, where you can submit your final, complete application to be approved by DIBP so your visa can be granted.
Priority processing arrangements apply to this visa. They determine the order in which the department considers applications regardless of when they have been lodged.
Australian Skilled Visa Conditions
A successful applicant is given a 5 year multiple entry visa to live and work in Australia. You only need to live in Australia for 2 of the 5 years to have the visa reissued for a further 5 years. Alternatively, you can spend 4 consecutive years in Australia and be eligible for citizenship.
If you choose not to gain citizenship, however, you must apply for a Resident Return Visa before the original one expires in order to travel to and from Australia. To qualify for this you must demonstrate that you have spent 2 years lawfully living in Australia or that you have significant personal, cultural or business ties to Australia.
Complete an Online Assessment to determine if you can qualify for an Australian Skilled – Independent Visa (subclass 189) as a highly skilled migrant.