Domestic worker

You can apply for a visa to visit the UK with your employer if you:

  • are a domestic worker in a private household
  • have worked for your employer for at least one year
  • are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

Domestic workers include:

  • cleaners
  • chauffeurs
  • cooks
  • those providing personal care for the employer and their family
  • nannies

How long it will take

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.


How long you can stay

You can use this visa to visit the UK with your employer for up to 6 months.

You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit
  • travel abroad and return to the UK to complete your stay, though you must prove you still work for your employer, eg a letter from them

You can’t:

  • change your employer while you’re in the UK
  • change your job for your employer
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • bring in family members (‘dependants’) – they must apply separately
  • switch to another type of visa from this visa
  • get public funds