UK Marriage Visa (Spouse Visa)

A marriage visa, also known as a spouse visa, allows the husband or wife of a British national or person settled in the UK on the basis of Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) to enter or remain in the UK. This same requirement also applied to couples who have registered a civil partnership. If you are not yet married but would like to enter or remain in the UK, you can apply for a fiance visa or an unmarried partner visa.

Imperial Visas makes the process of applying for a UK marriage visa simple. Our experienced immigration caseworkers have been experts within this visa category for over 20 years. The service we provide is fast, efficient and affordable, which is why hundreds of married couples have contacted us when applying for their spouse/marriage visa. With Imperial Visas there’s no hassle or hidden costs – only peace of mind and a quality service to each and every client.

If your partner has been refused before, we can help you to overturn the decision made by the Entry Clearance Officer or the Secretary of State. Here’s how it works at Imperial Visas:

  1. Complete the online assessment form below or call us – our expert immigration advisers will then assess your eligibility for the UK marriage visa.
  2. Pay a 50% deposit of your fixed fee once you choose us to help you apply for your spouse visa successfully
  3. Let our caseworkers take care of all the formalities immediately. Your dedicated immigration expert will then be doing all the hard work for you, dealing with all the necessary paperwork and documentation to strengthen your marriage visa application.

Basic Requirements:

The following requirements need to be satisfied before applying for a UK marriage visa:

  • Both parties in the marriage have to be at least 18 years of age
  • Parties must have met each other, be legally married to each other and plan to live together in the UK
  • You must have suitable accommodation available for you in the UK
  • You must be able to support yourself in the UK without access to public funds such as benefits since these are unavailable for spouse visa holders
  • Meet the income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement of a spouse/partner. Please note that there is a higher threshold to meet if any children are also sponsored: £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child.
  • English Language requirement must be met with the Level A1 course

Financial requirement for a marriage visa

The sponsor may meet the level of the financial requirement applicable to their application through one or a combination of the following: employment, self-employment, cash savings, being the director of a company, rental income etc.

Each category has a separate set of documents which must be submitted along with the marriage visa application depending on:

  • the permitted sources of income/savings;
  • the time periods and permitted combinations of sources applicable to each permitted source relied upon; and
  • the evidence required for each permitted source relied upon.

Get help with your Marriage Visa Today FREE ASSESSMENT

Exceptions to the Financial Requirement

If your sponsor receives any of the following then you are not required to meet the financial requirement stated above:

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment

Duration of UK marriage visa

A marriage visa is granted for an initial 27-month period after which time you or your partner will need to apply for another extension. After completing 5 years in the UK, you or your partner will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR) and British nationality.


  • The position is different for people applying for entry clearance as a partner and those applying for leave to remain as a partner “in the UK”.
  • “In-country” applicants may qualify for a grant of leave despite not being able to meet some of the requirements, under the “EX.1” (Exception) paragraph of Appendix FM under Immigration Rules.  They have to show either that they are a partner of a British/settled person in the UK and that there are “insurmountable obstacles” i.e. “degree of difficulty”  to continue their family life outside the UK, or they have to show they are in a parental relationship with a child (under 18) who is British/settled/ OR has lived in the UK 7 years before the date of the application and that it would not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK. Further considerations are also given to Section 55 taking the best interests of the child.

Refusal of Marriage Visa:

A marriage visa  may be refused due to absence of documents or because the ECO or the immigration officer was not satisfied that you met the requirements of the Immigration Rules. However, after refusal you will be given 28 days to appeal from outside the UK or 10 working days from inside the UK. For advice and help on your refusal, contact our team of visa experts on 020 3627 4777.

Indefinite Leave to Remain 

You can apply for ILR under this category based on the time when you were granted initial leave to remain or enter in the UK. Please refer to the “Settle in the UK” section of our website, or contact one of our advisers today.