Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is only for elite sportspeople and coaches whose employment will make a substantial contribution to the development of their individual sports at the very highest level in the UK. Those applying must be internationally established at the highest level of their sport. The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is for non EU sportspeople intending to stay/work in the UK long term. If intending to stay for less than a year, a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting) visa will be the applicable visa.
Endorsement by the Sport’s Governing Body
In order to be granted a Certificate of Sponsorship, the sponsor must first obtain the endorsement for the applicant from the sports relevant governing body. The endorsement will confirm:
- The player or coach is internationally established at a high level
- The player or coach will make a substantial contribution to the development of his or her sport at the highest level in the UK
The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is issued for up to 3 years and 1 month.
If you’re responsible for the recruitment of a UK sporting club or other organisation and need assistance in obtaining a Tier 2 Sponsorship License then please feel free to contact us.
Tier 2 Points Test for Sports People
- You must meet the maintenance requirements for which you are awarded 10 points
- You must meet the Tier 2 English language requirements for which you’ll be awarded 10 points. Sportspeople are not required to speak English to the same standard as other Tier 2 visa holders
- You must be in possession of a valid Tier 2 (Sportsperson) certificate of sponsorship for which you gain 50 points