Working Holiday Visas are designed to maximise your work and travel options. These options allow you to supplement the cost of your holiday by allowing you to work for short periods of time.

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for people aged 18 to 30 years of age, who are interested in a working holiday of up to 12 months in Australia.

What type of visa?

There are two programs and whether you are eligible for which program is dependent on your country of nationality. The Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) visa program is designed to encourage cultural exchange and closer ties between arrangement countries and the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) visa program is a youth mobility scheme that allows work and travel.

Note: Some countries are subject to annual visa limits.

The application process

You must be outside of Australia when applying and applications can be completed online or in paper form. Certain circumstances dictate which application method is required. Please contact us for advice. Your visa is activated at the time you enter Australia including if you are only transiting or travelling as a tourist.

Visa extensions

A first Working Holiday visa cannot be extended beyond the 12 month validity period. However, if you have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia on your first Working Holiday visa you may be eligible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa.

The Work and Holiday visa allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months. You can only extend your stay in Australia if your Work and Holiday visa is not granted with a ‘No Further Stay’ condition.

There are also other pathways to permanent residency. In fact this is a popular pathway for many young people to gain permanent residency in Australia.

Please contact us for more information.

What can you do with this visa?

  • enter Australia within 12 months of grant
  • stay up to 12 months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
  • work in Australia for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months.

This visa is for people from:

  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Malaysia
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Portugal
  • Poland
  • Spain
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Cyprus, Republic of
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland, Republic of
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea, Republic of
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom