Indefinite Leave to Remain

Imperial Visas FOR:    

  • 0203-627-4777

Imperial Visas is a private OISC registered company (F201100422) which is not the official government body and is not affiliated with it. We are a private company that offers comprehensive UK immigration solutions to private individuals and corporate clients. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the Official UKBA website.

Start Your Free Visa Assessment:



Indefinite Leave to Remain

Indefinite Leave to Remain is also known as Permanent Residency. ILR is the last step for any non UK national/citizen to fulfil before becoming eligible to apply for a British Passport. When applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain on your current leave/visa, you may have the option of obtaining ILR status under premium service. To check whether you’re eligible for the same day/premium process and what is the next available date Contact Us today on 0203 627 4777. (Same Day Appointments Available)

Mandatory Requirements for ILR

The main requirement under any category to apply for ILR is to have spent 5 years or 10 years lawfully (if applying for long residency) in the UK. You can apply for ILR only 28 days before your visa expiry, but in some cases you may be eligible earlier, please check with one of our advisers. Other mandatory requirements consists of Life in the UK test and level B1 test, you may not be required to take level B1 test if you hold a degree taught in English. 


The applicant should not have spent 180 days out of the UK in each year, however days out should be for the purpose for which your initial visa was granted. The days out requirement has different clauses so please check with our advisers eventhough you have been out of the UK for more than 180 days 


Different Categories for ILR: 

UK Long Term Residency Visa
The application for Long Term Residency visa can be filed by candidates who have spent an extended period of time i.e. 10 years or 20 years in the UK. 

If an applicant has been living in the UK for 10 years lawfully (legally) or 20 years unlawfully (illegally), they become eligible for ILR. The days out requirement in this category is 18 months, please check with our advisers if you have been out of the UK for more than 18 months and are applying under long residency route. The above stated mandatory requirements also need to fulfilled in order to apply for ILR under this route.

Please contact one of our representative today for a free assessment on 0203 627 4777


Indefinite Leave to Remain (Spouse/Marriage)

The spouse or civil partner of a British citizen or permanent resident of the UK is able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after living as a married couple for a period of 2 years if you were given a spouse/fiance visa before 9 July 2012 and after 5 years if you were given a spouse/fiance visa after 9 July 2012. You will also need to provide proof of cohabitation and meet the financial requirement rules if your initial leave to enter was granted after 9 July 2012. You can apply for ILR with the ESOL citizenship test as it is not mandatory for spouse visa holders to take the Life in the UK test.If you are making an application after October 2013 the applicants will need to complete level B1 Test as well as Life in the UK test.


Domestic Voilence ILR

You may be able to apply for Indefinite leave to remain based on domestic voilence and by providing the essential evidence, however you will not be required to meet the knowledge of life and language requirement. You cannot apply on same day basis for this category. For further advise contact our team of experts on 0203 627 4777.

Same Day Appointments Available contact us on 0203 627 4777


The candidate needs to meet the extension requirements and score 75 if they were first granted HSMP visa before 6 April 2010 or or 80 points after 6 April 2010. Applicants who apply under HSMP judicial review will be eligible to apply for ILR within 4 years, please check with our advisers if you qualify now. The applicant also needs to meet the other mandatory requirements stated above. You can apply for this application under Same Day Service. NOTE : IF YOU ARE EXTENDING YOUR STAY OR APPLYING FOR SETTLEMENT IN THIS CATEGORY AFTER OCTOBER 2013, YOU WILL NEED TO SHOW THAT YOUR CURRENT AND PREVIOUS EARNINGS WERE/ARE GENUINE OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REFUSED.  Extensions to thsi category close from April 2015 and Indefinite Leave to remain applications will be stopped after April 2018. Please contact experts at Imperial Visas for your application process.

                                                               PLEASE CONTACT EXPERTS FOR ADVISE ON 0203 627 4777

 Work Permit/Tier 2 ILR

There have been recent changes to this category from 6 April 2012 the applicant will need to have a salary of £35000.00 per annum, if your visa was granted after 6 April 2012. If you have been granted a visa before this date then the main requirements are to provide the lastest payslips, letter from employer and also meet the current requirements under the Skilled Occupation Codes. Other mandatory requirements stated above should also be met under this category. You can apply for this visa under same day service. Salary requirements will be applicable from 2016 if you are applying for indefinite leave to remain in this category, the requirements for salary will increase in 2018 again. Contact Imperial Visas for expert advise.


Tier 1 Entrepreneur/Investor ILR

To apply for ILR under this category you have different time periods, depending upon how much money is available, please contact one of our advisers to see if you can apply under this category. The restriction of days out does not apply to this category in some of the cases and therefore you need to check with an adviser at Imperial Visas.


Discretionary ILR 

In order to apply under this category you should have been granted discretionary leave to remain in the UK in the first place and should have spent 6 years lawfully in the UK. The grounds under which discretion was exercised by the Home Office should still persist and you will need to provide proof for the same and also meet other mandatory requiremets stated above. You cannot apply for this category using same day service. 


HM Forces ILR

If you have been discharged from the HM Forces and have served for atleast 4 years you will be eligible to apply for ILR. You need not meet mandatory requirements for this category. If you have been medically discharged you may still be able to apply for ILR, if your medical reason of discharge was above a certain level, please contact advisers at Imperial Visas to see if you qualify to apply under this category. 

Family members of HM forces can apply for ILR after completing 5 years in the UK, please consult our advisers to see if you do qualify for making an application under this category.


EEA Permanent Residence/ILR

If you wish to apply for Permanent Residence under EEA national or EEA Family member, please refer to the EEA Family Permit Tab on the left hand menu.


Domestic Worker ILR

If you have been granted entry clearance as a domestic worker before 6 April 2012 only then you will be able to apply for Indefinite leave to remain. You will need to meet the mandatory requirements and additional requirements for proving your employment as a domestic worker. Contact our team of specialist on 0203 627 4777 for further advise on this matter.


Other Routes to ILR

Generally for all other categories in order to apply for ILR the applicant needs to meet the extension requirements and have the life in the UK test provided they are not absent from the UK for more than 180 days. Please contact one of our representative today for further queries.


Life in the UK Test
From 28 October 2013 applicants will also have to meet English Language requirement and Life in the UK test requirements in order to apply for ILR. You can book the life in the UK test by calling 0800 0150 4245


Australia Family Visa

Speak to an Advisor

Let us represent you.

Australia Study Visa

Document Check

Applying yourself ? Let us check through your documents

Purchase Visa Check Lists

  • CALL US NOW : 0203-627-4777
  • Imperial Visas FOR:    
  • Like us on Facebook