UK Civil Partnership visa

A UK civil partnership visa allows a same-sex partner in a civil partnership who is not an EEA national to settle in the UK with their UK or EEA national partner. To qualify for entry to the UK you will need to be granted clearance prior to your arrival. A civil partnership is a legal relationship registered between two people of the same sex. In the UK, same-sex couples who register a civil partnership will receive the same treatment in a range of legal matters as heterosexual couples who enter into a marriage.

Eligibility Criteria

The eligibility criteria of a civil partnership visa is essentially the same as the criteria for a UK marriage visa. To qualify for entry to the UK as a civil partner, you must show that:

  • you and your civil partner are both at least 18 years old;
  • you and your civil partner have both met and are committed to the relationship
  • the relationship is monogamous (meaning that you each only have one partner)
  • you both intend to live together and establish a permanent home together in the UK
  • you must have already registered your civil partnership (otherwise you may be eligible for a partner visa instead)
  • the UK/EEA national partner meets the income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement of their civil partner. Should you have any children or dependants, note that this threshold is higher: £22,400 for having one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child or dependant.
  • you can pass the English Language requirement with a Level A1 CEFR

As a civil partnership visa applicant, you will need to show that you are a civil partner of:

  • a person who is already present and settled in the United Kingdom, or
  • a person who will arrive with you to be admitted for settlement in the UK

In addition, it is important that you are able to demonstrate that there will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants to occupy exclusively. You must also show that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependants without access to public funds.

Exceptions to Financial Requirement

If your civil partner is in receipt of any of the below then you are not required to meet the financial requirement for the civil partnership visa:

  • Carer’s Allowance.
  • Disability Living Allowance.
  • Severe Disablement Allowance.
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
  • Attendance Allowance.
  • Personal Independence Payment.

Duration of Stay

A civil partnership visa is initially issued for a period of 33 months (if applying from overseas) or 30 months if applying from within the UK. A further extension must be sought for an additional 30 months, which will take you to 5 years spent in the UK.

Once you have spent a period of 5 years in the UK on a civil partnership visa, you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK provided that you are still in a civil partnership in the UK and can continue to meet the maintenance requirement mentioned above.

Indefinite Leave to Remain 

You can apply for ILR under this category based on the time from when you were granted initial leave to remain or enter the UK. Contact one of our immigration advisers on 020 3627 4777 to discuss your case further, or request a free visa assessment by submitting the below form: